Sunday, August 7, 2011

South Africa arrival

I know the blog has been dormant, but I've decided to start it up again to let everyone know how we've been doing.  We arrived on the 2nd, and luckily all of our luggage arrived in one piece.  (This can be a problem from what I've heard.)  We were driven to our new house which was fantastic.  Apparently I know have a goldfish pond.  Didn't know that before.  (We've got a gate around it, but little miss will probably find a way to open it unless we padlock it, which we will.)  The house is great, and a bit quirky, but something we think we'll enjoy living in for the next three years.

At the same time, we were a little scared of the surrounding areas.  I mean, I've definitely heard horror stories about being in South Africa.  It was with this trepidation that the next morning we went out in search of a chemists (or drug store for the Americans reading).  During the day time, it is a quite nice area, and safe enough for us to walk to  the local shopping mall for a poke around.  Let me tell you, they could pick up Sandton City mall and place it in Tyson's Corner near Washington and no one would bat an eye.  It's a HUGE mall with numerous stores that are very high end.  Good coffee places too, which are necessary for my wife and I.

After we got our car on Friday, we went looking around the area.  What a beautiful place!  We're now extremely excited about being here and seeing all the sights.  Sunday we went to Sisulu Botanical Gardens and got to see not only the waterfall but the eagles that live there as well.  Fantastic day, really.

All in all we're looking forward to the ride.  Little miss is a bit cautious about the move, but our crazy little man is doing just fine and seems to really like it here.  Soon we're signing him up for soccer lessons, so that should be a hoot.  Hopefully I can update this regularly along with some photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment