Back-up to 2004. I'm 4 months away from leaving London when a colleague from the HR section in the Embassy brings by a new local employee. It was my Lovely English Lass. We talked, I think I made her laugh, and it was a good time. That Friday the Marines had a party at their house, and in walked LEL with our friend Gee. She was wearing a strapless black dress with polka dots. Gee re-introduced us and then promptly got lost! We talked the entire night and I walked her to the tube with my umbrella because it was raining. Fast Forward about a month, with me doing lunches with her, meeting her best friend at a party, and going out for drinks one night. Over the Memorial Day weekend I went to Brussels for a visit. It was there I realized I really liked her. So I bought her a box of chocolates and called her on the train ride home. After spending all of Memorial Day with her, and her quite clearly saying she wasn't interested in me, I wore her down and we started dating.
We dated the entire time I had left, and hardly anyone at the Embassy knew about it. And then I moved back to the US. Luckily I had a job that allowed me to travel a lot, so I did get back to see her in November of 2004 so we could go to the Marine Ball. It was then I called her father, whom I had met on an earlier trip, and asked for his daughter's hand in marriage. The only problem was the phone disconnected on me while I was trying to ask. Three times. Right as I was saying, "I would like..." Talk about your flop sweat! Well, I then properly asked her to marry me, ring and all, on December 23, 2004 in Washington, DC. The next day we flew to my parents house where they finally got to meet her. (Yes, after I proposed.)
We decided to get married in Florida, due to the vagueries of immigration. We got married in Orlando (not Disney), on Veterans day. (I tell people it's because November 11 is the same in England and America if you use numerals (11/11). In reality it was cheaper.) The wedding was quite the success. Beautiful day, many friends, and the reception was fantastic. Our first dance was "Something" by The Beatles. Staid Americans with not-so-staid Brits. It worked beautifully. In fact the bar guys thanked me afterwards for letting them work the wedding, they had such a good time. And, most importantly, she looked amazing.
![]() |
| See what I mean? I almost ruin this photo. |
If I could, I would write a song for her. If I had to, I'd stand outside our house with a boombox playing "In Your Eyes" like Lloyd Dobler. If I could, I'd do whatever I could to make sure she didn't feel any pain or anguish. I just know that if I was ever left without her, I'd be less a man. She makes it all worthwhile, and always will. So, today on our 6th anniversary, I just say I love her. And hopefully one day I can be the man I think she deserves. Until then, I'll just keep trying.


oh dear. my eyes are all misty. happy anniversary, parkers!! you were very clever to marry on an american govt holiday. well done!
ReplyDelete