Monday, June 18, 2012

Father's Day

So we got to celebrate Father's Day yesterday in South Africa.  Unlike Mother's Day, which there seem to be many different dates for it depending on the country, Father's Day tends to be the same worldwide.  So, no extra presents for me.  (Lovely English Lass on the other hand celebrates Mother's Day in March for the UK, May for the US, and the date if there is a separate one for the country we are living in.   That's just how she rolls.)

I got some great gifts from the kids and from LEL.  Lovely Little Girl bought me a french press that is only used for one cup of coffee.  Very tiny, and very cool!  Crazy Little Man bought me cuff links.  One is yellow and one is red.  One says "Yellow Card warning", and the other says "Red Card send off".  I absolutely love them both.  I also got a very nice sweater from LEL.

We went to JBs on the Corner for breakfast and the place was packed.  When it gets crowded like that, we all get a bit nervous. The noise bothers LLG, and LEL doesn't like crowds too much either.  And this place had both.  I was afraid we'd have a melt-down of one type or another, but it went off surprisingly well.  Afterwards, we walked around and went into a bookstore nearby.  The kids browsed for books, and both my wife and I were horrified by two little girls (about the ages of 5 and 8) reading a book about the Kardashian sisters.

After the bookstore we went to Monte Casino, had coffee at Seattle's Best Coffee, and walked around enjoying the ambiance.  We then went home, where CLM took a nap and we did some sorting of paperwork.  After a quick trip to buy food for dinner, we returned home, ate, put the kids to bed and watched the movie, "Thor" on television.  All in all it was a very good Father's Day.

Of course I was reminded bright and early this morning that my day was over, by LLG waking up at 330 and not going back to sleep.  Then again, if I didn't have those moments, it wouldn't be fatherhood would it?

I have to say I am very blessed with my family.  I have a father that has been a great example and hero to me.  My father-in-law is a good man as well, and someone I'd do well to emulate.  My children are relatively healthy and happy.  My wife is a loving mother, understanding wife and smokin hot to boot.  All in all, there are much worse things in life.  I'm just glad I get to enjoy it while I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment