Monday, May 24, 2010

Kabul, Day 2

  You know, it is funny how the most strange thing in the world makes you smile.  My flight over to Kabul was fine, but the flight from Washington to Doha was AWESOME.  I mean, how can you not like it when the first thing the flight attendant says to you when you sit down, after giving you her name, is "and here are your pajamas."  Seriously, how is that not awesome.  Immediately after take off I went and changed into those bad boys.  They rock.  Plus the flight was just delightful.

Anyways, so I have arrived, and immediately was taken to the Embassy to meet with the staff there, and start talking about stuff that we do in Embassies.  It was terribly exciting, but I was jetlagged like I've never been before.  Everyone was taking bets as to when I was going to pass out.  I told everyone that I was making it to 8, but not one believed me.  After a busy day here, I did in fact make it to 8.  (And not a second past.)

Kabul is an interesting place.  The buildings here are small and decrepit, and the traffic is horrendous.  (We actually gave the right of way to a donkey cart when i arrived from the airport.  It was wild.  Needless to say, I understand now why there are so many dents on cars around here, and perish the thought of one of our vehicles running into something on these roads.

As for security, we're pretty darn safe here right now.  I've got my body armor, and the cars are armored too.  So, we're doing fine.  The mountains surrounding the city are beautiful, and I'm told that the poppy blooms in the interior are just gorgeous.  (and deadly, but that's another story.)  Tomorrow going to plan our trip and then off to the interior the rest of the time.  Should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment