Currently, we're in the midst of the Rugby World Cup. (Actually it's Rugby Union's World Cup. Rugby League's is apparently in 2013. The differences between the two are quite interesting really. Union has 15 people per side and League has 13. League is much more like American Football and.... I've lost you haven't I?) Anyways, this is a big thing here in South Africa. If you've seen the movie "Invictus", you'll see how important Rugby actually is here. They are the defending World Cup Winners, and are expected to do quite well this year too. Everywhere you look everyone is wearing the green shirts with gold on them to support the team. It's actually quite cool.
However, watching anyone but the Boks play can be interesting to say the least. The announcers are shameless in their promotion of the Boks. They openly root against teams considered a threat to South Africa. I watched the England vs. Georgia game and my lovely English Lass was apalled at the bias. Granted, England didn't play to the top of their potential, but they won the match 41-10. It wasn't close! But to hear the announcers talk, they barely squeaked by a gritty Georgian team.
Let me be honest, I'm ok with a bit of homerism. I feel like it adds a bit to the game. However, when two neutrals are playing, don't talk down one to make your side look good. It reminded me of the 1994 NCAA Men's Basketball Championship game, when the announcers openly rooted for Duke to win against Arkansas. (That's always burned me. How could you root for Cherokee Parks?)
In other news, coming up on Saturday here in Johannesburg is Braai-day. A Braai is a BBQ, and September 24 is set aside for cooking out on the Braai. Pretty darn cool if you ask me. Everyone gets sausage, lamb, chicken and beef and cooks out. Heart attack inducing, but also really good. I think I'm planning on firing up the grill, sitting outside and havinga nice glass of a local red wine. Although it sounds like heaven, there is also a good chance that our water will go out again for 16 hours and we'll have to use the water from the fish pond to flush our toilets. Remember, this is Africa.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment