Monday, December 12, 2011

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

As I said in my last post, it will be weird to have Christmas in the summer.  However, I want you to know that Christmas is my favorite holiday of the year, and has been for quite some time.  It's amazing how much of my life has revolved around Christmas and what it means to me.

One of the earliest memories I have is of my great-grandmother, Grandma Wilfong, talking about how much she loved Christmas.  That woman started shopping for next Christmas the day after Christmas.  It was her favorite time of year.  (I always joked she liked me best because I was born on the same day as her husband, who was named John as well.)  She seemed to always know when we were coming to visit her for Christmas, as our presents were lined up under the tree waiting for us when we got there, or they showed up at the house prior to Christmas to make sure we had them.  She was a lovely woman.

We always said she'd have to die on Christmas eve as that was the only day she wasn't out shopping for the next Christmas.  Strangely, that is exactly what happened.  It was afterwards that I found out she was married on Christmas day, which probably explained why the holiday meant so much to her.

I loved spending Christmas with my family, both close family and extended family.  Seeing my grandparents and my cousins was great, but spending it with just my brothers and parents was great too.  We'd wake up early and have to wait until my parents got up so we could go see what Santa had left for us.  (We knew whose stuff it was by our stocking being left on the pile.)  My parents were always difficult to buy for, which is why my mother may still have a bottle of perfume called NINJA somewhere in the house.  I remember getting a bicycle and clothes.  Ah to be that young and innocent again.

Since I've been in the Foreign Service, I've served as Santa Claus on two continents.  It'll be three on Sunday as I'm Saint Nick for the Christmas party here in Johannesburg.  I love doing that.  One year I was Santa in Suriname, and they made me sit in a Sleigh during the hot weather outside.  The Ambassador, a very nice man, sat next to me for pictures and asked me if Santa would like a plate of cookies and some milk.  Santa replied he'd like a cold beer instead, but drinking and flying is frowned upon.  I love the look on the kids faces, and even though I sweat buckets, I always feel so good inside afterwards.  (That's what I tell myself when I should be working out.  I'm just staying in Santa shape.)

As I mentioned previously, my wife, Lovely English Lass, and I got engaged two days before Christmas.  LEL then traveled to Florida to meet my family.  When we arrived on Christmas eve, we went straight from the airport to the house of my best man's family for the usual party we have every year.  It still brings a smile to my face remembering my wife trying very hard to stay awake and seem interested when in reality she just wanted to go to bed.  It shows her grace that she pulled it off superbly.

Not everything dealing with Christmas was a great memory.  My college girlfriend broke up with me on Christmas eve my senior year in College.  Not fun, I can tell you.  (However, the depression did help me lose 40 pounds, and I looked great for a bit.)

This weekend as we set up the tree and realized we'd packed a box away in storage that held some of our Chistmas stuff, I thought about how much this season means.  It's about peace on earth and good will towards everyone.  Hopefully we'll have a good time this Christmas.  The kids seem to be getting the hang of it, and they love looking at the tree.  (Crazy Little Man came down from his nap with the tree lit up and said: "It's Christmas!")  I am looking forward to the looks of happiness when they get their gifts, both from us and from their relatives, and hearing them say Thank you.  Then it'll be time for Turkey and whatnot.  I'm sure we'll have a great time, and one day I hope they tell great stories about Christmas to their kids.  So, everyone Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and Happy Holidays.  May the new year bring you happiness, health and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment