Tuesday, December 27, 2011

New Year's resolutions

You know, each year I try to make new year's resolutions, but I never seem to be able to complete them.  Maybe I'm doing it wrong, and I'm just setting myself up to fail.  Probably true, and so I'm going to try and make it so I can accomplish them this year.  Hopefully next year I'll look at this list and say, "Check, check, check."

1) Go to the gym at least twice a week.  This is difficult for me because I can only go early in the morning, and turning off the burglar alarm wakes Lovely English Lass.  Hopefully I'll go more, but I think I can agree on twice.
2) Try to take my wife out for more date nights.  She deserves the break, and we do need time alone away from the kids.  Even if it's just dinner, it'll be a good thing.
3) Write more to my friends and family in the US and all over the world.  You guys are very important to me, and I want to keep up with you and what is going on in your lives.  I'll make the effort, and hopefully you will too.
4) Take my son to his first soccer match when I'm in England this fall.  I want to be able to do this with him, and hopefully I'll make it happen.
5) Play tea party with my daughter. She loves it, and it's something that can strengthen the bond between us.
6) Try to be more  patient with my kids.  You know, it's difficult sometimes to remember that they are children when they are coloring on the walls or pouring water on the floor.  I'm sure they don't mean it, and I need to teach them better.
7) Have my wife watch Blazing Saddles.  Because, why hasn't she already?  It's awesome!
8) Look for new music.  I love music.  (In fact, "Little Lion Man" is playing right now in my head.)  I should support new artists and find music I can enjoy.
9) Play outside more with my kids.  I agree with the First Lady on this, my kids need to get out more.  Hopefully we'll be able to in the coming months and the kids will remain healthy and happy.
10) Enjoy life.  There is no need for me to be down.  I've got a great wife, a lovely daughter and a fantastic son.  Look at the experiences we are having right now and make sure I take time to enjoy them.

Hopefully I can get all of these done before the new year.  It shouldn't be hard, but they are important.  I'll let you know later how I'm doing.

Well, it's raining outside, and maybe it's time for some tea.  I'll ask my daughter to pour me a cup.  Happy New Years everyone.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment