Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Movies and quotes

I drive my wife, Lovely English Lass, crazy with quoting movies.  In fact when we lived in Luxembourg my friend, who at the time was known as Eurochini, came for a visit and my wife forbade us from quoting anything during a dinner out one night.  And then of course she ended up quoting something herself.

Movie, books, songs.  It doesn't matter.  If I can find a way to fit a quote in, I'll do it.  Some people think it's un-original.  Personally, I think it's harder than it looks.  I have to look through my entire file of quotes from everything I've ever read, seen or heard, fit it into the proper situation, and give the quote the proper amount of umph that gets the point across.  It's harder than it seems.  This is something I've done for years.  In fact, if I said something quite witty, one of my exes would ask me where it came from.  (As if I couldn't be witty on my own!)

It's hard sometimes to stop yourself.  Nothing is worse than quoting something and the people around you not knowing what you're talking about.  I was helping a friend move once, but the people helping her move weren't my usual group of friends.  So, as her boyfriend went out to get more boxes from the store, I stood in the doorway waving and said, "Good luck storming the castle!"  A tumbleweed rolled by as it became awkward that no one knew what I was talking about.  Very embarassing.

Anyways, I went to a dinner held by my boss.  It was a thank you for the hard work of getting his house in order so he could move in.  There were about 12 of us from the consulate that were invited.  As we sat at the table with my boss, LEL mentioned that we were going to have Movie Night at our house, as we have a lot of them, a nice sized TV and a decent enough size house.  She asked for suggestions.  Well, the security guy, also sitting with us, immediately started quoting movies.  And I'm not talking Godfather (which is a staple for most guys I know).  He went with "The Last Dragon."  Needless to say, it carried on for a bit, with even my boss getting into the game.  The ladies just sat there looking stunned.

Back in DC I have a group of friends that can probably hold a two hour conversation using just quotes from movies.  Maybe it is a guy thing, I don't know.  Anyways, it is nice to know that even here in Johannesburg there are people that will understand when I quote a movie to them and won't look at me funny.  That's what LEL is for, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment