Thursday, October 13, 2011

Sleep is a privilege, not a right

My wife, LEL, will tell you I am very particular about my bed.  It's the reason we ship our bed all over the world.  It just feels right, you know?

Well, my daughter believes the same thing about my bed.  Most especially that she belongs in it and not me.  You can see the conflict, right?  Until recently, I would allow her into our bed and I would go sleep in her room with her brother, the crazy little man.  He had his own twin bed, and I'd be next to him in the other twin bed, like some odd Bert and Ernie. 

(Small side story: the summer after my second year at University, I stayed in Washington instead of going back to Florida.  I did it because of a girl.  Two weeks into the summer she broke up with me.  Anyways, I roomed with my fraternity brother Mikey that summer.  We had a nice one bedroom apartment on 25th Street in Washington.  We also had twin beds and shared a room like Bert and Ernie.  In fact my friend Em used to comment on it constantly.)

Anyways, lately I've gotten tired of this, so we decided we'd try to keep her in her room.  She would come into our room, and we'd move her back to her room.  I'd basically end up sleeping in a chair just so LEL could get some sleep.  Then, when our stuff arrived, we tried something different.  We put the gate up in the doorway of their room to keep her and him in their room.  Problem is that crazy little guy hates the gates and screams in fury whenever he wakes up and sees them.  When we put the gate on our door, my daughter comes up to them and screams because she can't get in.  It's a problem we're trying to solve, but have run out of possible solutions.

I've learned how to work on very little sleep now, and coffee has really become a friend of mine.  Hopefully soon their clocks synch and we can get some rest.  Until then, Sleep really is a privilege and not a right.

No comments:

Post a Comment